The United Kingdom has recently had three cases of Brucellosis, a very rare human infection caused by the bacterium Brucella canis.
Wendy Hayes of Stoke-on-Trent was supposedly the first person in the United Kingdom to be diagnosed with the virus in 2022.
She ended up having to put down her five dogs because of it.
It is likely that kennel breeding techniques are to blame for the emergence of this epidemic among native canines of the UK.
It entails mating and social interactions between local dogs and dogs that were imported or are descended from them.
Romania, a major importer of dogs to the UK, has a high prevalence of the illness throughout Eastern Europe.
In 1966, it was initially found during a US investigation on Beagle miscarriages.